Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The romance and reality

1.  Google maps - the shortest route isn't always the easiest route.  Check the topography before you cycle off.
2.  Google maps again.  On the way from Laguna Niguel to Oceanside, I listened, dutifully took the left hand turn and pedaled up the impossibly steep road, stopping a few times along the way.  Then it took me for a loop and told me to go back down the same road I came up.  I'm pleased that Google dropped their corporate motto, "Don't be evil" because that trick was supremely evil.
3.  I packed too much.  I planned to possibly camp along the way, but I decided to be honest with myself.  I don't want to pitch a tent after a long day in the saddle and I'm too attached to running water and power to schlep it out for a night in the tent, so I sent home the front two panniers and my tent.
4.  Ask the locals questions, particularly about topography, water points and food availability up ahead.  They live there and are mostly extremely helpful.
5.  It's okay to stop, take a rest and then get back on the bicycle.  This is meant to be enjoyable, not painful.
6.  Every hill so far has been painful.  Some way more than others, but every hill has hurt and I've had to stop multiple times on the biggies.  And even after I offloaded 11+ lbs of gear, every hill continued to remind me of the Princess Bride - to the pain.
7.  The trip from Oceanside to El Cajon confirmed my hatred for all things with a grade of 4% or more.  The 1.5 mile climb at Torrey Pines with 6 - 8% grade really sucked.  Pedal, stop, pedal, stop, pedal stop, repeat.  And the last 10 miles into El Cajon were pretty much all uphill, some parts of it steeper than others.  If someone was offering EPO or blood doping in the middle of the hill, I would have been their first customer.

Before the real mountains started, I took two rest days in El Cajon.  There is a large group of Chaldean Iraqis here, and I definitely enjoyed being reacquainted with Middle Eastern fare.  And after the mountains in CA, the high desert, and the vast expanses of nothingness between one hamlet and another burg (which, btw have nothing to do with quiet desperation, their desperation is screaming, yelling and flailing about) and the magnificently crappy shoulders on the roads and the continuing hills, I feel great about my decision.  The hills yesterday and today were no problem at all.  Whenever I came to one, I'd just give that gas pedal a slight push and my rental car responded like a champ.  And the miles of nothingness in the desert - the impossible miles of emptiness that I would have been riding?  They just passed by quite pleasantly with a smug grin on my face.
These folks have about 70+ miles of bleakness to ride through.  

It's okay to shift gears when things don't go according to plan.  I am driving the bicycle route, but I saw no reason to continue to inflict unnecessary pain upon myself or my surgically repaired (twice) knee.  The reality of the trip did not meet the romance, and I'm completely comfortable with my decision.

I'm still on for a trip to Thailand/Burma possibly Malaysia in Sept/Oct/Nov, but I anticipate it will be a rental bicycle trip to explore each city/town on a bike after my overnight sleeper train where somebody turns down my bed rather than an expeditionary cycle touring trip.




                               Do you want these guys to turn your bed down?  Didn't think so.






















4 comments:

  1. So am I, now come home an make me bran muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that last paragraph! So are you driving the entire route you were going to bike or headed to home sweet home and your beautiful wife?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, drove all the way home, some along the bike route, some on the freeway. Saw a few cyclists, none of whom looked like they were enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete