Sunday, February 22, 2015

Starting out

     That's right, this shift just got real.   About to take off on a cross country bicycle trip from California to Florida and then onwards through Southeast Asia in September/November 2015.

     I've spent the majority of my life outside of the U.S. mainland.  It's time to see places in the U.S. that I probably wouldn't see in a car whilst whizzing by on an interstate highway. Where the heck have I been?  About 25 years in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, another 10 in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (which is a U.S. Commonwealth, but culturally oh so very different), about 6 years in Hawaii and few years in the Middle East and Southwest Asia.  I don't have a real home base in the U.S. (those who are doing the math will find some unaccounted for early years - they were spent in Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York).  So, while I'm still relatively young, I'm going.  Any fool can drive across the U.S., but it takes a real fool to ride a bicycle across the country.

     My wife, as you may imagine, was not particularly thrilled about this trip as she'll be staying back, going to the salt mines every day.  I sold her the trip by saying that as far as a mid life crisis goes, she's getting off easy.   It's not a pair of 26 1/2 year olds (she's 53) and I'm not a classic car collector.  I like bicycle travel.  Eventually, she bought what I was selling. 
     So follow the blog and join me on a trip across the U.S. on a bicycle, I'll document most of the trip on an iPhone and iPad.  As always, I promise amusement.
That was then and this is now.

1 comment:

  1. good luck, stay safe ... will be following your journey

    ReplyDelete